Homemade Cheese Crackers.
You can have Homemade Cheese Crackers using 7 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Homemade Cheese Crackers
- You need 6 oz. of sharp yellow cheddar cheese, freshly shredded (about 1 1/2 cup).
- You need 1/2 cup of all purpose flour.
- You need 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp. of cornstarch.
- It’s 1/4 tsp. of salt.
- It’s 6 tbsp. of unsalted butter, cold and cut into 6 pieces.
- Prepare 2 tbsp. of cold water.
Homemade Cheese Crackers step by step
- Place the cheese, flours, cornstarch and salt together in a food processor and process until combined, about 30 seconds. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles the texture of wet sand, about 20 seconds. Then add the water and pulse until large clumps of dough forms, about 10 or so pulses. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and divide in half. Pat each half into a square, roughly 6". Wrap each square in plastic wrap and place into the fridge for about 45 minutes..
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a couple large baking trays with either parchment paper or silicone baking mats and set them aside. Unwrap each dough square and place onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough out to about a 9"or so square, about 1/8" thick. Use a fluted pastry wheel or a pizza cutter to trim the sides evenly, then to cut strips into the dough length-wise, about 1"wide. Then make 1" strips into the dough width-wise so that you have even squares..
- Use a toothpick or skewer to poke a hole through the center of each square. Place the squares onto the prepared baking trays and bake until just golden brown around the edges, rotating the pan halfway through cook time. The original recipe calls for 16-18 minutes, but if your oven runs hot like mine does, then it will probably only take 8-10 minutes. Once they're done, remove them from the oven and let them cool before serving. Store them loosely covered to help maintain their crunch..